Mystery surrounds a bus stop in Onchan that appeared and then vanished in little over a week.
A new bus shelter skeleton structure was placed outside the Bonds restaurant in the village and drew much comment, mostly negative, from residents and politicians.
But now the shelter has been removed, apparently for further work to be undertaken.
The shelter was mocked on social media for having a seat that was too high.
Some Onchan residents complained that it was too small to accommodate anyone, especially wheelchair users, or provide them with shelter.
The former standard bus shelter was removed when work on the former Isle of Man Bank began. The Department of Infrastructure confirmed earlier this year that the previous shelter would not be reinstalled, and that a shelter more in keeping with the building would be erected .
Since the new shelter was removed, a sign has been put up by a company called Gold Properties.
The sign says: ’Please note that this bus shelter is currently under construction. Further works are to be undertaken shortly to lower the seat and to install glass panels.
’All work should be completed shortly. May we apologise for any inconvenience caused and thank you for your patience.’
A spokesman for Onchan Commissioners said: ’The bus shelter in Onchan was discussed at length on Monday evening by the commissioners at their board meeting.
’They have received a number of members of the public come forward raising disquiet about the size and potential lack of protection from the elements (even when the glass is fitted).
’I will be writing on behalf of the chairman raising these concerns to Bus Vannin and also to the equality advisor in relation to members of the public who are disabled as they will not be able to get into the bus shelter.’
Onchan MHK Julie Edge told the Manx Independent that ’numerous residents’ had contacted her about the shelter before it was removed and described it as ’totally unacceptable’. And her constituency colleague Rob Callister said they would be raising concerns with the DoI.
He said on Facebook: ’I was expecting something a lot better, and something that actually kept constituents dry.’
The Manx Independent has twice contacted the Department of Infrastructure for an explanation of what was going on.
It had not responded to our requests for a comment by the time we went to press.