Onchan Commissioners have warned that the village’s infrastructure could not cope with 200 new houses proposed in the Area Plan for the East.
At a meeting with residents, all the board members of the local authority spoke to state their objections which were met with support from villagers.
The meeting was held ahead of the deadline for submissions to the Area Plan for the East last Friday.
However, some local authorities, including Onchan, had been granted extra time for submissions by the chairman […]
Minister asked if law is to be changed
Where should motorhomes be allowed to be parked, and should we be setting up purpose-built, designated areas for them?
Rob Callister is looking to start a conversation about the law today, with a Tynwald question for the infrastructure minister.
He’s asking Ray Harmer whether his department has any plans to update Section 65 of the Road Traffic Act 1985, to legislate for the increasing number of motorhomes on the Island.
The Onchan MHK says the landscape has changed since the law was brought in.
Source: Manx Radio
Callister concerned voices won’t be heard
No need for it, inadequate infrastructure and access, and flooding issues – an Onchan MHK has been outlining his objections to a housing estate earmarked for his constituency.
The draft Area Plan for the East, as it currently stands, has a site near Cronk-ny-Mona down for development.
Rob Callister has submitted evidence to the upcoming inquiry into the plan.
He’s worried Onchan’s concerns may get swallowed up within the rest of the evidence, given how the inquiry is being conducted.
Source and short interview: Manx Radio
MHK seeks updates on plans to terminate current gas agreement
An MHK believes the Island’s utility companies could do more to help those in poverty.
Onchan member Rob Callister has tabled a written Tynwald question seeking an update on plans to terminate the current agreement on regulation in the gas market.
This was due to be done by last December, but Manx Gas are yet to be given the mandatory six months notice.
Mr Callister is keen to see progress to help those on low incomes.
Chief Commercial Officer insists tariff letter wasn’t unethical
A senior Manx Telecom official has vowed to look at the way the firm phrases letters to customers after confusion over mobile phone tariffs.
Some mobile users were recently informed the tariff they use will increase in price, but then found they could save money by switching to a newer package.
Onchan MHK Rob Callister accused the provider of scare tactics and called for brands like Manx Telecom to ensure their services are marketed ethically.
MT’s Chief Commercial Officer Ed Jennings insists the company was just trying […]
An MHK has accused Manx Telecom of using ’scare tactics’ and ’guerilla marketing’ over threatened changes to customers’ mobile phone tariff plans.
After the Examiner contacted the company, MT apologised for confusion over letters sent out to customers on out of contract mobile tariffs, informing them that their bills would go up next month.
Onchan MHK Rob Callister says he was informed that his current tariff plan was ’very old’ and had not been available for sale or renewal for some time.
MT told him that, following a review of ’legacy tariffs’, his plan would […]
In this week’s Isle of Man Examiner, we report an MHK’s concern about a letter from Manx Telecom to its customers.
He’s not happy about what he sees as ’guerilla marketing’.
We also talk to Manx Telecom about the letter.
MT’s rival, Sure, is in the news too. We hear about a security breach.
Also this week:
Two pages of photos from the Southern Agricultural Show.
Big news for Port St Mary’s Bayqueen hotel.
Planners have been discussing the Empire Garage flats plan in Peel.
A new headteacher for Pulrose’s primary school.
A burglar who stole a donations jar […]
MHK accused firm of scare tactics over price rise notification
Manx Telecom insists it’s not forcing customers onto a higher tariff.
The statement comes in response to a social media post from Onchan MHK Rob Callister accusing the firm of scare tactics and guerilla marketing.
He was referring to a letter received from Manx Telecom notifying him of an upcoming price increase to a tariff no longer sold by the company.
MT insists it wanted to let customers on older packages know about the potential savings they could make by moving onto a newer deal, […]
Onchan MHK says there is a conflict of interests
A conflict of interests could force the chair of a Tynwald scrutiny committee to step down.
Rob Callister MHK is a member of the Department for Enterprise with responsibility for tourism.
He is also the chair of the Environment and Infrastructure Policy Review Committee, set up to scrutinise projects including the prom refurbishment scheme.
Mr Callister says the move to run the Douglas promenade works by multiple departments in government, including the DfE, has made him re-think his options:
Source and interview: Manx Radio
MHK wants government to work with local businesses affected
The chairman of a Tynwald committee believes there are lessons to be learnt from the Douglas promenade refurbishment scheme.
The Environment and Infrastructure Policy Review Committee has been hearing evidence from Department of Infrastructure bosses, as well as hoteliers and restaurant owners based on the seafront.
With around 18 months before the project is completed, some businesses have reported trade has fallen by up to a fifth.
Rob Callister MHK hopes the government works more closely with local traders for the remainder of the works:
Source and interview: […]